Good morning, Long Beach! Here’s everything you need to know to get this Monday started off right.
So far, the elegant tern rescue has saved about 2,000 young birds in the harbor. Also, City officials want parents to remember that youths as young as 12 can receive a COVID-19 vaccine. Finally, you know things are going south when the campaign contribution checks bounce.
First, today’s weather: Clear throughout the day. High: 83 Low: 63.
Here are the top stories today in Long Beach:
- Update: The elegant tern chick rescue along the LB Harbor has continued. So far, more than 2,000 were plucked from the water. If you’ve been following this story, you will remember that boaters or fireworks may have scared the chicks off their roosting platforms in early July. (LB Post)
- City officials urge parents that “COVID-19 vaccinations should top back-to-school lists.” With schools starting again this month, they remind parents and caregivers that minors as young as 12 years of age qualify for the free vaccine. At this time, 44.7% of this demographic is vaccinated. (City of LB)
- Ruben Garcia of Advanced Cleanup Technologies once said he developed a ship’s smokestack cover that would prevent 80% of its emissions from leaking into the air. Critics now call his invention an “illusion” while creditors claim Garcia’s “companies were a kind of Ponzi scheme.” (LB Post, CARB)
- Ninth District Council Member and Vice Mayor Rex Richardson has raised $168,000 for his third-term reelection campaign to continue a Roadmap to (North LB’s) Renaissance. (LBReport, Strong Towns)
- The LB Pride Parade and Festival will return in 2022. Event planners intend to run it July 8 through 10 along Shoreline Drive and downtown. (CBS)
Today in Long Beach
- Admiral Kidd Park Summer Camp for kids 5 to 13, 2760 North Studebaker Road. (9 a.m. to August 6, 4 p.m.)
- Minecraft Engineering Using Lego for kids 6 to 13, Recreation Park, 4900 East 7th Street. (1 p.m. to August 6, 4 p.m.)
- Construction Electrician Career Fair/Hiring Event by Rogers Electric at Courtyard by Marriott Long Beach Airport, 3841 North Lakewood Blvd. (7 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Trivia Night at The Auld Dubliner, 71 South Pine Avenue. (7 p.m.)
Long Beach Patch Notebook
- Long Beach Police Department (CA): “Over the past few weeks, South Division Bike officers have been distributing eScooter safety flyers to the community….” (Facebook)
- Long Beach City: “Please #WearAMask indoors even if you are vaccinated. Cases are going up and we need everyone to help end the spread….” (Facebook)
- Long Beach City: “Get involved in the City’s Fiscal Year 2022 Budget and share your vision for what #LongBeach will look like by 2030…” (Facebook)
- Long Beach City: “Mark your calendars! Join us for the first-ever Long Beach Augmented Reality (AR) Exhibition in Downtown Long Beac…” (Facebook)
- Fill out a Coyote Incident Report if you had an encounter with one of these wild animals.
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Monday off right! See you tomorrow morning for your next update. If you’re loving these newsletters, consider bringing some friends and neighbors on board. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Sylvia Cochran
About me: Sylvia Cochran works out of sunny Southern California and has been freelance writing full-time since 2005. Her SEO-optimized internet copy includes social media marketing projects, German to English business translations as well as human resources tutorials. She loves dogs, books, and embraces social justice.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Long Beach Daily? You can contact me at [email protected].
Powered by WPeMatico